Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
The Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA), signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown, creates a statewide framework for the sustainable, local management of California’s groundwater.
SGMA, which became state law in 2014, directs local agencies to work together to develop local Groundwater Sustainability Plans (GSP) in basins and sub-basins classified by the state as medium or high priority.
BBID Becomes a Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA)
Following a public hearing in March 2017, Byron-Bethany Irrigation District’s Board of Directors voted unanimously to become a groundwater sustainability agency (GSA) for a portion of the Tracy Subbasin, which underlies the District’s service area in portions of Contra Costa, San Joaquin and Alameda Counties. The Tracy Subbasin had been classified as medium priority by the California Department of Water Resources (DWR).
The Tracy Subbasin was divided into the East Contra Costa Subbasin, and the Tracy Subbasin. BBID is a GSA in both subbasins.
As a GSA, the District will work cooperatively with surrounding agencies, cities and counties to manage groundwater in a responsible, sustainable manner.
Groundwater Sustainability Plans Completed
In November 2021, GSPs were completed for both subbasins. Click the links below to view the full plans.
BBID GSA Territory
East Contra Costa Subbasin
East Contra Costa Subbasin Subregions
What’s Next for BBID
As part of the resolution approved by the BBID Board, the District intends to develop groundwater sustainability plans for portions of the Tracy Subbasin and East Contra Costa Subbasin within District boundaries in San Joaquin and Contra Costa Counties, and both within and outside BBID’s boundaries in Alameda County.
The Board voted to enter a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to work with multiple agencies within Contra Costa County.
In San Joaquin County, the District expects to collaborate with the City of Tracy to resolve overlaps in proposed GSA service areas.
In Alameda County, the District plans to pursue an agreement with Zone 7 Water Agency, in which Zone 7 would formally delegate to BBID its authority to manage groundwater within Zone 7’s service area.
Update: As of April 2020, BBID joined neighboring agencies in signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to develop a Groundwater Sustainability Plan for the East Contra Costa Subbasin. Read it here.
Tracy Subbasin Boundary Modification
BBID is part of a coalition of eight local water agencies that worked together to modify the boundary of the Tracy Subbasin along county lines.
This will ensure that water users in Tracy and San Joaquin counties won’t exercise undue influence on how groundwater is managed in East Contra Costa County.
Thanks to the support of at least 75% of the local agencies and water systems in Contra Costa and San Joaquin Counties, the request to subdivide the Tracy Subbasin along the Contra Costa and San Joaquin County line was approved by the California Department of Water Resources.
- We will be providing periodic updates on the development of a groundwater sustainability plan. In the meantime, you may obtain more information about this process in the East Contra Costa Subbasin by visiting https://www.eccc-irwm.org/sgma.html or contact your Groundwater Sustainability Agency (listed on the website).
- For the Tracy Subbasin, please visit http://tracysubbasin.org/.
The Department of Water Resources (DWR) compiled a list of commonly-asked questions about SGMA and GSAs here.
Connect with Us
Have questions, or interested in taking part? E-mail us here.
Previous Meeting Minutes & Monthly Updates
- August/September 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- July 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- June 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- May 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- April 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- March 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- February 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- February 2021 Meeting Minutes (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- January 2021 Update (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- January 2021 Meeting Minutes (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- November 2020 (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- October 2020 Update (East Contra Cost Subbasin)
- October 2020 (Tracy Subbasin)
- September 2020 (Tracy Subbasin)
- February 2020 (Inter-Basin Meeting)
- January 2020 (Tracy Subbasin Technical Meeting)
- September 2019 (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- August 2019 (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- July 2019 (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- June 2019 (East Contra Costa Subbasin)
- February 2019 (East Contra Costa Subbasin)